Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I Miss My Voice

Last week I caught an upper respiratory virus from a certain baby I know (they're germ factories and I shouldn't allow their cuteness to lure me in, but I can't help it). I'm feeling better but lost my voice four days ago and I'm really starting to miss it. I was talking (more like whispering) to the receptionist about this today, how it's starting to get to me because I feel like I can't express myself fully, and I miss singing. Not that I go around belting out show tunes all day long or anything, but I occasionally sing or hum to myself during the day, and I miss that little bit of cheeriness. She told me to, "Just let your soul do your singing for you," and that this will teach me patience. I liked that, so I'm going to just relax and go with it and leave the light on for my voice, whenever she decides to wander home.

Last night I fell asleep on the couch and then finally woke up and stumbled around getting ready to go to bed. My roommate gave me a nighttime cold medicine to help me sleep because I kept coughing, and it knocked me out. This morning when I woke up I was still sedated, in fact I am even as I write this. My train ride was just me sitting and staring, unblinking and almost unseeing, out the window like a zombie. Not even my morning playlist on my iPod could snap me out of it. The only bit of music that penetrated the sedatives was the part of Neil Diamond's "Cracklin' Rosie" when his voice gets low and he sounds really close to the microphone, and he sings, "Oh, I love my rosie child. You got the way to make me happy. You and me we go in style..." It was as if I just noticed that I was listening to music at all when I heard that. It made me blink and I felt the corners of my mouth turn up a little bit. It felt like Neil himself had suddenly leaned down out of the ether to where I was walking on the sidewalk between skyscrapers, looked right into my face and sung that to me. It was kind of a funny feeling. Then the sedative fog dropped back down again.

I've had three cups of sugar-laden coffee, which ordinarily would have me trembling and having heart palpitations, but I'm only just barely awake. No more sleep-inducing cold medicine for me. Although tonight I'm going straight to bed after dinner, I think. Clearly my body needs the rest.

Tomorrow is my last day at this temp assignment, and my IT buddy is going to take me out for a whiskey. I normally don't drink whiskey, but I want to get used to it, and he claims to be quite the whiskey connoisseur so I'll trust him to help me choose a good starting point.

All right, back to work I go.

1 comment:

  1. Kasey Wallace is my nameMarch 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

    When you get your voice back, you need to call me and sing some "I Got You, Babe". I will provide the back-up vocals...

    ReplyDelete