Friday, March 5, 2010

Common Magic

I once sat in my car outside the IHOP in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and listened to a famous musician whose name I no longer remember (I think he may have been in the Grateful Dead at one point or another), talk on the radio about what's wrong with the music industry today. It was a beautiful rant that had the people in the studio applauding by the time he was through. He talked about business destroying the art and things like that. He was wonderful, but what stood out to me the most was when he said something along the lines of, "Music is the most common form of magic there is, it's real and can transform a room full of people in an instant." That stuck with me long after I finally joined my comrades inside the IHOP and pretended to study for final exams over eggs and french toast.

I was thinking about those words again today, since music plays such a huge role in the escapism I employ whilst at my mind-numbingly boring job. I decided that if I could prescribe songs as remedies for ailments or charms desired outcomes, here are some of the ones that I would choose, listed according to their function.

To Smile Involuntarily
Not the exact version I wanted to use, but close enough.
("The Peanut Vendor")


To Feel Sexy While Walking In Public
("Bei Mir Bist Du Schon" performed by Janis Siegel)


For Inspiration Before Going Up Against a Villain Alone

("The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" - Gene Pitney)

For Times of Stress: To Know that Everything is Going to Be All Right

("Run" - Amy MacDonald)

To Let that Special Lady or Gent Know You're About to Dish Out the Goods
("Use Me" - Bill Withers, intro. by Will Ferrell)

To Make Time Slow Down 

See Also: Blood Pressure Reducer; To Dissolve Stress; For Looking Out the Windows of Moving Vehicles; For Slow Walks; To Facilitate Peaceful Bliss; If You Need A Good Cry; For Comfort; To Reduce Inflammation
("You're the One" - The Black Keys)


P.S. Don't forget to donate to help finish Iceland: Future of Hope! http://kck.st/9eSKrs

No comments:

Post a Comment